Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Bhool Bhulaiyaa - Disappointing


Starring : Akshay Kumar, Shiney Ahuja, Vidya Balan, Amisha Patel, Paresh Rawal, Asrani
Director : Priyadarshan
Producer : Bhushan Kumar / Krishna Kumar

First things first, I am a very big fan of Akshay Kumar and never miss any of his movies. After Aamir Khan, Akshay Kumar is the man for me. So like all his movies, this was a must watch for me since the day the its first promos were released.

So when I read Bhool Bhulaiya a was not a comedy, I got more excited, I thought 'Priyan Strikes back'. I always believed that Priyadarshan was an intelligent director, he gave us movies like Virasat, Doli Saja Ke Rakhna, Hera Pheri etc. However when he started making movies like Bhagam Bhag & Dhol, I really thought that he has given in to commercial considerations and jumped into bandwagon. Infact it was very easy to assume that someone else might have directed Dhol, while credit was given to Priyadarshan.

But Priyan disappoints again, its a thriller, with hardly any thrills, infact they can be counted on fingers. I was able to second guess the director even before the interval . The Script has so many loopholes that it barely leaves an impact in the end. It was not clear what exactly director was trying to portray, was he on side of science & Psychology OR on the side of exorcism & ghosts, he and his scriptwriter seemed to be confused about this. The movie does in work in some parts though but again they bits n pieces do not make a great movie.

In the entire movie the saving grace was performance of Akshay Kumar, Vidya Balan and the music. It was shot beautifully, however that is it. I am not sure why is Amisha Patel is signing such tit-bit roles and further damaging her career. Shiny Ahuja was adequate, Paresh Rawal and Asrani wasted. However the biggest grudge I have with Priyadarshan is that he took 59 minutes for the buildup and introduction of Akshay Kumar. Akshay gets his first shot 59 (Yes!) minutes into the movie and 8 minutes before intermission.

All in all, if you are a Akshay fan, then you can go for it, or if you have nothing better to do.

My Rating : 6/10

No comments: