Thursday, October 4, 2007

Transformers - Don't know what the hype is all about

Starring: Shia LaBeouf, Tyrese Gibson, Josh Duhamel, Anthony Anderson, Megan Fox
Directed by: Michael Bay
Produced by: Steven Spielberg, Brian Goldner, Michael Bay

Even though I am not a big fan of comic books, however I do enjoy good flicks regardless of the fact if I have read the comic/novel or not. This movie has been trying to catch my attention for quite some time now, it had amazing ratings on IMDb and most of the times they are very accurate, viewer response seemed to be great and there was a hysteria surrounding this. Still I avoided to be taken in by the release of this movie for first few weeks, however later I decided to check it out.

But I must tell you that I am not an American and hadn't heard about any comics that went by "Transformers" it was totally a new concept for me. And was I disappointed !! I simply failed to make any sense of the movie, then I thought it might a no brainer and decided to concentrate on action sequences and special effects, however I was not able to understand what exactly was happening on screen. My mind simply went numb. The robots were so complicated in design that I was not able to make what they were trying to do. The scenes seemed to be too much crowded and complicated, it was difficult to comprehend who was doing what. I understand that this was a comic book adaptation however there have been lot of movies in the past like Batman series, Spider Man Series that I have loved, and that too without reading any comics.

Maybe this movie is working because of the fans that it got from the comics and earlier adaptation, otherwise I don't see any other reason for it to be just any other movie on the block.

So for the sake for Die-hard fans, I sincerely hope that producers would put in more effort on story and screenplay rather than special effects, when they come out with the second installment, which I am sure that they will, given all the commercial success this one got.

My Rating : 6/10

No comments: